Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sunday Speculations: This Week's Assignment is to Write an Epitaph

This week I have to write an epitaph. An epitaph is a short rhyming poem that appears on a tombstone. I do not think the poem should be more then six lines long or less then two. Right now, I am planning to make it either four or five lines in length, but I could change my mind by the time I write it. The problem I am having is with the subject. Should I write the poem to a family member or friend who has passed on? Should I dedicate it to an historical figure? Should I write it about one of the my pets that has passed?

You would think that writing an epitaph would me easy, but it is not. It is not easy to write any poem and the form does not matter. Once the poem is written then you have to read it over to determine if you have chosen the right words. Finding the right words for a poem is difficult; however, it is worth the difficulty when the poem is finished.I think this is the first time I have written an epitaph; at least I do not remember writing another one.

I could write it to Mittens, the first cat I ever had.

Mittens was a good tom cat,
He could always catch a rat.

At least, I have started to think about the poem. It needs to be longer then two lines and I cannot seem to come up with a good rhyme for either of the following line.

He now waits at the rainbow bridge.

He liked to roam the neighborhood.

Both of those lines are good, but I cannot think of a rhyme for either line.

Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9