Thursday, February 05, 2015

Thursday Thoughts: Sunset Thoughts

I look out my front door and watch the sky slowly fade from deep blue to dark black. As night approaches, I pause to whisper a prayer and then continue writing. I have not yet turned on any lights. My apartment slowly grows darker, so I will have to turn on the kitchen light in a few minutes. I will also have to do the supper dishes, but I do not want to do either of those right now.

I listen to the neighborhood children laughing and playing. As the days grow longer they are able to remain outside later. I smile remembering my childhood in Oklahoma. I remember my grandparents let us stay outside and play until the sun set below the western horizon. Unlike Las Vegas, Nevada, the town I grew up in had no mountains so sunset seemed to last longer. At least I remember it lasting longer, but that was a long time ago and memory seems to enhance and lengthen the joys of childhood.

Listening to children play makes me nostalgic for that carefree time. As a child, I did not have to worry about the rent payment, the power bill, or gas for the car. As a child, I could run and play in the sunset knowing that when I went into the house the lights would turn on because Grandpa had the money to pay the power bill. I did not think about the power bill or any other bill because they were all taken care of by either my mother or my grandfather. I miss those carefree times. I miss playing outside without worrying about anything.

Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9