Monday, July 21, 2014

Muse Monday: Starting a Poem

"I have never started a  poem yet whose end I know.
Writing a poem is discovering."
Robert Frost

Robert Frost is right! Writing, or as I like to say composing, poetry is a voyage of discovery. I start the poem with one idea, but by the time I finish I have written a different poem. I enjoy the exploration of the  poem's theme. I enjoy discovering the poem end. I enjoy writing the poem.

Today I finished Frankenstein's Nightmare, which started out to be Insomniac's Nightmare. When I started I thought it would end differently; however in the first paragraph I made a reference to a computer monitor and cyberspace. When I got to the second stanza, I realized I had to change the planned ending because the one I had would not work in that poem.I will write Insomniac's Nightmare as soon as I can find a beginning. 

writing poetry
a voyage of discovery
tramping through jungles

I am mixing my metaphors in that poem. I should stick to just one, but it seems I have two so perhaps I have the beginnings of two poem. I wonder if I could use those three line in Insomniac's Nightmare. It really does not matter how I begin the poem because I will not know the ending until after I finish and the ending may determine the poem's title.

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9