Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wednesday Word: Mullygrub

Mullygrub was a word Grandpa Frank used when we (his grandchildren) were gripping, negative, or depressed. At these times, Grandpa said "Stop your mullygrubbing around!" It took me a while to figure out the spelling so that I could research the word on-line. I discovered a 2012 entry in The Anarchist's Guide to Grammar about this word.

According to the Monday, September 24, 2012 entry For All You Mullygrubbers! Mullygrubber describes someone who is negative, depressed (moody), and belly-aches (bitches), but it has an international reputation, at least in Australia, where it is the name of a cricket play. Mullygrubber comes from the word mully (muley), which has to do with the actions of a hornless cow.

Mullygrub is a good description of my mood for the last few days. I did not notice how negative I was until I decided to stop belly-aching (gripping) for seven days. I started the no gripping project on Monday and on Tuesday I had to start over. Today begins my second attempt at overcoming my mullygrubbing attitude for at least seven days.

I encourage everyone to click on the links above to check out this marvelous and descriptive word. This is a word that should be in everyone's vocabulary. It is a word that needs to be used because it describes a specific mood in one word.

Labels: , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9