Saturday, November 24, 2007

Opening a Gift

2 Qawl 164 B.E. - Saturday, November 24, 2007 about 12:27 AM PST

Daily Writing Practice Prompt: Write about opening a gift.

Today is November 24, in precisely one month on December 24 I will be sixty-one years old. I have a very specific way to open gifts. I do it very carefully and methodically. I look the gift over carefully and find the locations of the tape. Then I attempt to remove the tape without damaging the paper. It isn't always possible to remove tape without damaging the paper, but I attempt it anyway.

I think I do this because my Grandmother always encouraged us to save the paper from our present. If you took the tape off carefully you could reuse the paper. She didn't use it to wrap another present, rather she used it to line dresser drawers and shelves. My Grandma Newland was a great recycler. I learned a lot from her especially when it came to recycling colorful wrapping paper.

I'm not sure I'll get a gift I can unwrap on December 24. It's been a long time since I received a wrapped birthday present. Usually the present comes in a colorful paper gift bag or an envelope. Last year I received a gift card to a book store.

I enjoy receiving gifts wrapped in colorful paper. Unwrapping them slowly, while I anticipate what I'm getting. I enjoy keeping the paper a few day and considering using it to line a dresser drawer or something similar. I enjoy looking at the bow and remembering my Grandma, remembering her carefully putting the bows away and using them again on a package.

Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 1 Comments

  • 1 Comments:

    Blogger The Writers Blog -- Joanne Nakaya said...

    Your comments are insightful, thought provoking, in a word, good.

    Happy birthday if I don't see you.

    I tear open the gifts that I open. First I open a corner, slowly, then I rip the rest of the paper off in a large, sweeping motion. I like the thought of lining drawers with the leftover paper.

    What else did she do to recycle?

    Happy Thanksgiving!!!

    Don't forget to visit my blog, writers-blogs.blogspot.com. I'd like to know what you think.

    Joanne

    12:34 PM  

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9