Monday, November 19, 2007

I Always Enjoyed Thanksgiving

17 Qudrat 164 B.E. - Monday, November 19 about 6:32 PM PST

I always enjoyed thanksgiving as a child. We eat the Thanksgiving dinner at Grandma and Grandpa Newland's. Grandma loved to cook, she made the best pumpkin pie I've ever tasted. In fact the only pumpkin pie I've ever tasted that comes close to being as good is Marie Calendar's. It's a little late to order a pie from there for Thanksgiving, maybe for Christmas or New Years. Not that I celebrate either one, but a pumpkin pie would be nice.

I remember Grandma started baking several days before Thanksgiving. On Thanksgiving day she put the turkey in the oven when she got up and dressed. After the turkey, then she made us breakfast which usually consisted in cereal and milk. The rest of the day she spent making the rest of the meal. Thanksgiving was always a big event for Grandma.

The Menu
  1. Turkey
  2. Mashed potatoes and gravy
  3. Sweet potatoes with marshmallows
  4. Creamed corn
  5. Green beans
  6. Rolls and butter
  7. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream
  8. Apple pie with ice cream
  9. Iced tea for the kids
  10. Coffee for the adults

There is a reason I'm reliving Thanksgiving memories, there is a Thanksgiving contest on writing.com. I can enter either a story or a poem, but it has to do with giving thanks. I'm going to write something about the dinners my Grandmother used to make. Grandpa always said a prayer before the meal started. Grandpa Newland was good at composing prayers before mealtime. Grandpa's prayers were never too long or too short. Maybe I'll write a prayer in tribute to my Grandfather or Grandmother.

Labels: , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9