Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thoughtful Thursday: Housework and Insomnia

My grandmother did housework at midnight,
when she couldn't sleep
and the nights grew long
waiting for the coming dawn.

Last night, I found myself doing dishes between 11:30 pm and 12:00 am. As I put my hands into the hot soapy water, I remember Grandma Mary. Grandma didn't wash dishes at midnight, but she did sweep, mop, or vacuum the floors. I found myself unable to sleep, so I got up and wash the few dishes that I had overlooked.

After finishing the dishes, I looked around my studio apartment to decide what else I could do. I picked some stuff up off the floor and then got the trash ready to take out this morning. I wasn't going to carry the trash to the alley that time of night. It wasn't that I was afraid, but it was dark and there are no lights in the court yard.

My grandmother did housework at midnight,
when my grandfather slept
snoring away
grandma would vacuum the floors
without waking him up.

I don't know if the housework wore her out to the point that she could sleep. I know washing the dishes didn't make me tired. I think the next time I can't sleep, I will try sweeping or mopping the bathroom because it is small and it isn't difficult to sweep or mop in an hours time. I start with the small room and then work my way up to the rest of the apartment.

Normally, when I can't sleep I get on-line to write or surf the net. I've been wanting a change of pace, so doing housework that time of night would fit the bill. Perhaps sweeping and mopping would cause me to sleep; at least it would give me some exercise. I'll see how it works out, if nothing else it will make a good flash fiction story.



Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9