Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Dealing with Alzheimer’s disease

Late in 2009, the doctor diagnosed Mom with Alzheimer's disease. Short-term memory lose and anger are part of Alzheimer patient's issues. Mom gets angry when she thinks I am critizing her, so I have to be extremely careful about what I say and how I say it. Mom also forgets where she places items and where stuff goes when she puts it away. There are other issues, as well, many more issues then I can write about in a single blog entry.

Mom's short-term memory loses makes opening cabinets and drawers an adventure. I never know when I open a drawer or cupboard what I am going to find. For example, I opened the storage unit under the stovetop and found two cans of tomato juice and a can of apple juice. The tomato juice I opened and Mom drank them. The apple juice is still down there waiting for me to open it.

I noticed this morning, that Mom has taken her partial dentures out of her mouth. I have no idea where she put them. the last time she took them out I found them on the floor beside her bed, but I have to find them, wash them, and get her to put them back in her mouth. I think she takes them out because they hurt her gums; however, I cannot take her to the dentist without the dentures.

Once I find the dentures and determine why Mom takes them out of her mouth then I can explain the situation to the dentist. Perhaps he can make some suggestion concerning this issue. Unfortunately, Mom will not use any type of denture adhesive.

Labels: , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9