Friday, August 08, 2008

Sweltering in Las Vegas, Nevada

Eight days into August, with cloudy skies almost every day and only two small showers, however, we have had flood watches and warnings. We have also had wind, but not as bad in February when the wind took out the elm tree.

I am sweltering in Nevada. The high humidity reminds me of my Oklahoma childhood. The clouds in the sky above Las Vegas remind me of Oklahoma. The heat rash I have reminds me of growing up in Oklahoma. The only time I ever get a heat rash is when the humidity is up.

I did not move to Las Vegas to get away from the humidity. I did not move to the desert or Nevada to get away from anything. I found out a long time ago, I cannot run away from my past and from my memories. I carry my past; I carry my memories both good and bad with me wherever I go.

I am not sure why I moved from Blackwell, Oklahoma to Las Vegas, Nevada. The obvious answer is that my mother and siblings moved here. The problem, as any writer can tell you, is that obvious reasons are not always, why a person or a character in a story or novel does something. I am still trying to figure out the reason I moved from Oklahoma to Nevada. The only explanation I can come up with, that makes any sense is "God's will". For some reason, not yet clear to me, the Creator wanted me to live in Las Vegas, Nevada, rather then Blackwell, Oklahoma.

August clouds play tag
across the blue desert sky
the drought continues.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9