Monday, August 04, 2008

A Cup of Joe

I love coffee. I knew at about two or three that coffee was my drink of choice. How did I know this, I was sitting on my father's lap. He was drinking coffee and reading the comics to me. I reached up and pulled his cup of hot coffee into my lap. I burnt myself. My parents rushed me to the hospital to have a doctor take care of the burn.

Burning myself at such a young age did not stop me from learning to drink coffee. However, it was not from my father that I learned to drink coffee. I learned how to drink coffee from my grandfather. Grandpa Newland, my mother's father, drink cowboy coffee. That is he drank it strong and black. Grandpa drank his coffee strong enough to walk under its own power.

I was doing research for nicknames of coffee, so that I could use them in some of my stories and write a few poems about my favorite hot drink. I came across two website. The first is Slang Terms and Nicknames for Coffee and the second is I Need Coffee, which has a page containing Cowboy Coffee: Arbuckles by CB Miller. This page actually includes a recipe for Cowboy Coffee.

Now I have something else to work toward; that is getting my stove top fixed so I can brew some real Cowboy Coffee. Sometimes it does not take a lot to make me happy. Sometimes just the thought of having a cup of coffee is all I need to make me smile and get me out of bed in the morning. The only drink I need to make me happy and give my muse an idea for either a story or poem is a cup of Joe (or perhaps I should spell it Jo).

Labels: , , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9