Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Writing Form Poems

5 Qawl 164 B.E. - Tuesday, November 27, 2007 about 5:41 AM PST

I've written six form poems in the past six weeks. I'm part of a writing challenge at writing.com called Stretch Your Style. Each week a different form is explained and the participants write a poem in that form. This is a fun challenge.

Writing form poetry can be frustrating and fun at the same time. It pushes the poet and writer to go beyond what she usually writes. Many form poems have specific rhymes. Finding rhymes to fit the words and theme without them sounding forced and artificial is sometime difficult. However, it is part learning about poetry and part of the fun.

The forms I've used so far, with their titles, are
  1. Garland Cinquain - Happy New Year
  2. Cyhydedd Hir - Frozen Desires
  3. Ottava Rima - Commemorating the Birth of Baha'u'llah
  4. Quatern - If I Could Choose
  5. Trio-par-Huit - They're War's Bud
  6. Double Rondelet - The Vacation of My Dreams

All the poems are in my writing.com port under Contest Submission, but I'm going to move them to a new folder called Poetry Forms or the Shape of Poems (not sure which yet).



My Writing.com Port

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9