Saturday, December 03, 2011

The Wind off a Glacier

A blood-freezing chill
The wind blows from snowcapped peaks
Another cold day

When I went outside this morning to roll the trashcan to the curb, the wind felt as if it were blowing off a glacier. I wore a heavy jacket, the type that skiers wear, with a sweatshirt under it; I was still cold. I have to change the way I dress when I go outside of a morning.

In addition, to the jacket and sweatshirt, I have to start wearing slacks and gloves. This morning I wore a skirt, without any gloves. I also have to start zipping the jacket up. I cannot take the cold weather any more; there was a time when the cold did not bother me, but no longer.

A chill in the air
With snow on Mount Charleston
I am sixty-five

Perhaps, age is the reason the wind felt so cold this morning. The older I get the colder winter seems to become. My mother is 90 years old and is cold all of the time. She uses two heavy blankets at night, while I use only one. During the day, she wears heavier sweatshirt then I wear. Mom wants to live to be 100.

I also want to live to be 100; however, I am not looking forward to the winters. I suppose I need to get used to wearing layers in the winter. I need to learn to like wearing layers of clothing. Mom does not like wearing layers, but there is no other choice. I wonder if there is some place warmer then Las Vegas in winter.

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9