Thursday, December 18, 2008

Writing about Snow in the Las Vegas valley

It snow in Las Vegas yesterday. Mom went to the dentist about 1:00 PM to have her lower plate adjusted. While we were waiting for the Paratransit bus to pick us up, it started to snow. The flakes melted at first, but then begin to accumulate. The snowflakes were huge white flakes. The type I remember from my childhood in Oklahoma.

It doesn't snow in the Las Vegas valley very often. When it does snow, the flakes don't normally accumulate on the ground or anyplace else. They normally melt and turn to slush and run off. However, yesterday the flakes accumulated on the ground, the cars and the roves of houses.

They canceled flights at McCarran Airport because the snow accumulated on the runway and McCarran has now equipment to clear the snow off the runways. Visibility was down to one or two blocks on the streets. I'm not sure what the visibility was at McCarran,, but it had to have something to do with caceling out going flights.

The snow didn't actually shut down Las Vegas, but it made getting around the city dangerous. There was talk about shutting down the schools for a snow day, which is rare in the city. I haven't heard yet whether that is going to happen or not.

I looked out my window and saw snow on the ground this morning. It's times like this that I wish I had a digital camera to take photos. Buying a digital camera is going to be one of my goals in 2009. I don't know how I've gotten along without one, but apparently bills and debts have gotten in the way of buying a digital camera. No more, the bills will always be there and they will get paid. However, I can no longer put off getting necessary equipment.

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9