Monday, November 12, 2007

Veterans' Day 2007

9 Qudrat 164 B.E. - Monday, November 12, 2007 about 9:41 AM PST

Today most business offices, banks and schools are closed in commemoration of Veterans' Day. There won't be any mail delivery either. The neighbors across the street are flying the Stars and Stripes in commemoration of the holiday. Veterans' Day is actually November 11, but that was yesterday and a Sunday.

I'm thinking about most of the Veterans I've known. There was my Great Uncle Roy, he was a veteran of World War I. That was the war that produced the War Poets, while there was poetry written during World War II it was the poets of the First World War that were known as war poets. My Uncle Roy wasn't a poet, in fact I don't remember him ever talking about the war or rather the Great War that many called it.

My father was a Veteran of World War II and I don't remember him talking much about the war either. I know my father was stationed at Nellis Air Force base in Las Vegas, Nevada. Dad was in the Army Air Corp. I have a picture of my Dad in his uniform and I have a picture of Uncle Roy in his World War I uniform. I'm not sure where the pictures are, but I'm going to have to find them. When I do find them I'll post each with an appropriate poem.

If you click on the title of this post you will be redirected to the Veterans' website.

Labels: , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9