Friday, October 23, 2015

Eight Days Until Halloween

It's time to get your costumes
and purchase all the sweets
because you only have eight days
until Trick or Treat.

I remember growing up in a time when Halloween was not as scary. As a child we went trick or treating in our neighborhood or my Grandparent's neighborhood. I liked going Trick or Treating in my Grandparent's neighborhood, because my Grandmother (who was called Grandma by all the neighborhood children) always may cookies for everyone the neighborhood.

My Mother or my Grandfather always took my siblings and me trick or treating. They did not let us go with the groups of children whose parents let them go unsupervised. I suppose I should have ask why, but I never thought to ask that question. Parents or guardians taking children trick or treating was unusual. Getting homemade treats was not unusual though.

I remember one lady did not give homemade treats. She was a very religious woman and instead gave us wrapped sucker attached to a religious pamphlet with a Bible verse. Some of the homemade treats we received were candy apples and cookies. I miss the Halloweens of my childhood, but most of all I miss my Grandparents.

I am not planning to give out any type of candy or other treats this year. I am going to close the shades, turn the lights out, and hope no one can see the computer through the closed shades. I do not enjoy Halloween the same way I did as a child or the way I did when my Mother was alive. In fact, the only thing I enjoy about Halloween is the candy corn because it brings back pleasant memories.

Labels: ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9