Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Wednesday Word: Tomatoes

Beautiful red fruit
Adorn dark green vines waiting
For me to eat them

This morning, I went to pick up some food at one of the food banks here in Las Vegas. One of the things they gave me was tomatoes still on the vine. When I came home I took some chicken out of the freezer and made soup. This afternoon, for my lunch I ate a piece of chicken with a couple of tomatoes. I love to eat tomatoes right off the vine, when I was a child one of the items my grandparents grew were tomatoes. When the fruit was ripe we would pick them, cut them up, put a little salt and pepper on them, and eat them that way. I also like fresh tomatoes in salad.

An editable fruit
tomatoes go with lettuce
in my green salad.

When I was growing up, I thought that tomatoes were a vegetable rather then a fruit. Maybe it was because my mother and my grandmother always put tomatoes in our salads. When I went grocery shopping with my grandparents we always found the tomatoes with vegetable rather then with the fruit. The only problem I have today when I eat uncooked tomatoes is the desire to put salt on them, which I am attempting to resist. I have taken the excess salt out of my diet as a results I do not purchase salt when I go to the store. I try to use other spices or use chips to put in soup when I eat it.

Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9