Monday, June 24, 2013

Writing a poem about the Super Moon of 2013

I saw the super moon
Shining down on Earth
Its brightness made me swoon

I think swoon is an exaggeration, but when I wrote that poem, I was planning to write a form poem. I still may use those lines as they are or I could change the form and write a free verse poem.

I saw the supper moon,
breathtakingly bright
casting its reflected light
across the desert night.

Those lines are a little better and sound a little more natural or perhaps the word I want is less archaic. Swoon sounds like something my grandmother did when my grandfather was courting her. If I used the first three lines, I could change swoon to faint or pass out, but those words do no rhyme with moon.

Of the two poetic starts, I like the second one better. I think I like it because it expresses the way I felt looking up at the moon. I could change “across the desert night” to “across the city night” because I was standing in my front yard when I looked up at the moon.

I did not think I would get to see it because of the nighttime clouds. Here in Las Vegas, we have dealt with cloud cover off and on for several days. It is a bit frustrating when you want to look at the moon, which is bright enough to penetrate the city’s light pollution.

I saw the super moon of 2013, so that is something I can give thanks for and write about. Now the only thing for me to do is figure out how I can salvage the first three lines and use them in a poem.

Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9