Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Solstice Memories

Midsummer, summer solstice, the beginning of summer in the northern hemisphere, this is the day my Grandmother begin making sun tea. She would fill a huge glass jar full of water, put teabags in the water, put the lid back on the jar and place it out in the sun. After a few hours outside in the hot sun, she would bring the jar into the house and make iced tea. If summer solstice fell on a Saturday, we would be at the Lake and she would make sun tea there.

summer solstice joy
iced tea and homemade ice cream
childhood memories

Grandpa would make ice cream and we would cook hot dogs outside on the grill. We would go swimming, water skiing, and fishing. Summer visiting with my Grandparents was a wonderful time of year. Grandpa planted a garden with watermelon and other delicious items. When the watermelons were ripe we would put them in the refrigerator and eat them cold.

summer solstice joy
looking forward to eating
cold watermelon

I think the next time I go to the grocery store, I will purchase and individual watermelon. Eating watermelon always brings back wonderful memories of my childhood and times my siblings and I spent at the Lake.



Labels:

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9