Saturday, January 07, 2012

Weekly Writer's Quote: My Self and My Own Time

“The man who writes about himself and his own time is the only man who writes about all people and all times.” ~ George Bernard Shaw

I don’t like to write about myself, most of the time. I do write about my mother. Mom has Alzheimer’s disease and short-term memory issues. One of the results of this is that she forgets she ate and therefore, she wants to eat again about ten to thirty minutes after a meal. I have to admit this does make life interesting because on Saturday and Sunday, when she is home all day, she wants to eat all the time.

There is plenty of food in the house; the problem is finding something for her to eat that is low in dietary fiber (she is on a low fiber diet) and not fattening. Mom now weighs 130 lbs. When she began going to the Adult Daycare center last year she weighed 95 lbs.

I fixed a macaroni and spaghetti sauce for us this weekend. All right, I know its probably high in calories, but its supposed to be filling. At least, that is what I thought. I added a can of green beans and heated it in the microwave. Mom still wanted to eat again ten minutes after she finished eating two bowls of the macaroni. The food either was not as filling as I thought or Mom forgot she ate and this made her hunger again. Perhaps I should put this incident in a short story.

Labels: ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9