Sunday, February 21, 2010

Writing between household chores

I'm writing between household chores, which would work great if I didn't have to sleep. However, I have no other choice at this time. Writing between other chores is interesting, but I'm going to have to invest in a timer. The problem I have with doing writing and housework in shifts concerns wanting to finish one thing before going on to something else.

I become focused on a story and I don't want to leave writing to do housework. Even if I'm stuck and can't figure out what the next move is I won't get up and go to another job. I just sit in front of the computer and (figuratively) pound my head against the monitor. This isn't good, because it get me nowhere fast. If I would get up and sweep the floor or some other chore my subconscious mind could work on the writing issue.

A timer would help, to some extent, because I could sit if for thirty minutes to an hour. When the timer went off, I could stop writing (theoretically) and do something else. All right, I actually don't know if a timer would help or not. I do know that I can write for about twenty-five to thirty minutes before I get stuck on an issues in a story or a word in a poem. I also know that it helps for me to do something completely different from writing when I'm stuck. Therefore, doing housework between writing projects is the best solution. I'm simply going to have to learn to deal with the issue of leaving a piece of writing unfinished before doing one or more household chores.

Labels: ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9