Friday, July 11, 2008

No Rain Last Night

There was a storm warning for Southern Nevada yesterday. It did not rain in the section of Las Vegas I live in last night. That was a disappointment; I enjoy watching thunderstorms because they remind me of my childhood. They also give me good ideas for poems and stories. I have not written a thunderstorm poem or story in a while.

I do not need to watch a thunderstorm to write a poem or story about one. I have plenty of memories from my childhood that I could use. However, sitting in my living room or on the patio and writing about a storm while it is occurring is different from writing about one from memory. Memory colors the events surrounding the storm. When you write about a storm that is taking place around you feel the threat and the emotions first hand.

Yesterday clouds gathered, but it did not rain in my area. I noticed the humidity and I had a little bit of heat rash, but there was not rain. Rather like a spring day in Oklahoma, except that there were clouds. I remember humidity in Oklahoma without clouds. At least in Las Vegas when there is humidity, there are clouds. Actually, hat sounds like a good idea for a poem, which will probably end up being another bitter love poem.

Most of my love poem, unless they are mystic love poems, turns out bitter. Maybe that is why I do not write love stories, because they would turn out bitter. I do put love interest in some of my short stories, but those usually turn out bitter. Perhaps bitter is not the right word here, in the short story I submitted to Short Shots the official writing.com contest, the love interest turn out to be a traitor.

Labels: , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9