Saturday, February 09, 2008

Another week of writing has passed

Jalal (Glory), 3 Mulk (Dominion), 164 B.E. - Saturday, February 9, 2008 about 8:39 AM PST

Another week of writing has passed and I completed the 5,000-word essay The Light of The World. I now have to rewrite it because I used the free write approach and just wrote my thoughts on the subject. I did put some scripture verses in to begin the thought process. That writing exercise taught me a lot about what I actually believed about the light of the world.

In doing a free write exercise, I time myself by using the clock on my computer. I give myself a time limit ranging from 5 minutes to 30 minutes to complete the writing exercise. I just write, I do not go back and correct misspellings or grammar, I just write. After the exercise is completed then I do the corrections if I feel like it, otherwise I let the piece rest a while before making any corrections.

I use Word to do the free write, but you can use any word processing program or you can write long hand in a pen and paper journal. Where the free write is done isn't important. The important thing is just to write and not think about what you are writing. It is amazing what a writer learns about him or herself when doing a free write. A person can do this exercise anywhere and anytime, as long as you have about 5 minutes to spare and a place to write.

Labels: , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9