Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Midweek Reflections on reading a daily newspaper


As a child, my parents and grandparents subscribed to the daily newspaper and read it everyday. I subscribe to the Las Vegas Review-Journal and read it every day. The RJ, like all other daily newspapers, is educational. In addition, I find ideas for poems, stories, and blog entries.

My method of newspaper reading is to pour myself a fresh cup of coffee and sit down on the couch. Then I take the rubber band off the paper and glance through looking for article or columns that arouse my curiosity. This morning, Steve Sebelius’ column caught my attention. Mr. Sebelius is a political columnist for the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

The headline of the column read, “I voted, and not many of you can say that!” It seems that less then 8 percent of Nevadans voted in yesterday’s primary election. I voted yesterday, which makes me one of Nevada’s “8 percenters” (coined by Mr. Sebelius).

I am 65 years old. I am my mother’s caregiver and the only person who is taking care of our finances and house. I have difficulty walking long distances and up inclines or stairs, so going to my polling place is not easy. I took the time to get out in triple digit temperatures to cast my ballet in the primary election. I did it for two reasons. First, it is my duty and privilege as a citizen. Second, if I do not vote then I have no right to complain about the outcome of the election.

One last thought before I post this. It is amazing what one learns from a daily newspaper if you just take time to sit down and read it.









Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9