Wednesday, February 03, 2010

A World War I veteran turns 109

Frank Woodruff Buckles, the last American World War I veteran, turned 109 on Monday, February 1. Mr. Buckles wish is to see a World War I memorial dedicated in Washington, D.C. I think Mr. Buckles should get his wish; we need a memorial to World War I.

My Uncle Roy Newland, my Grandfather's brother, served in World War I. I always smile when I remember Uncle Roy. He didn't say much about his experiences in World War I and now I wish I had asked him about that war because the only information I have about it, I learned in school. History books give important information about World War I, the Great War to End all Wars, but they don't give information at a veteran of that war, a soldier who experienced life on the battlefield or behind the lines can give.

We have memorials to other wars in Washington, D.C., and we should have a memorial to World War I there as well. I'll have to do a little research to see if there is a committee or organization attempting to build a memorial to World War I.

Labels:

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9