Sunday, July 12, 2009

It was as if …

Daily writing practice prompt for Saturday, July 11, 2009: “It was as if ...”



It was as if a giant hand had swept all the houses off their foundations and scattered their contents across the city. I'm not sure how old I was when the tornado struck Blackwell, Oklahoma. I know I was in grade school. I remember huddling in our storm cellar as the tornado passed.

The tornado didn't touch down on my side of town. It touched down around Aunt Ida's house. Aunt Ida was my grandmother's sister. Grandpa took us to see the destruction and visit Aunt Ida. I remember the house next door was completely destroyed; the only thing left of that house was the foundation.

Aunt Ida and her husband rebuilt. The foundation of the house next door remained empty and weed covered. I don't know why the family never rebuilt, I don't think Aunt Ida ever said.

Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9