Tuesday, July 07, 2009

So it has come to this

Daily Writing Practice Prompt for Monday, July 6, 2009 was “So it has come to this.”

So it has come to this, hanging my cloths outside to dry. When the dryer's heating element went out I had a choice. I could get a new. I could get a used dryer. I could wash my cloths at home and then take them to the laundromat to dry. I could buy a hexagon outdoor dryer and 50 lbs. of quick drying cement. I picked the last option.

Now I wash my cloths in an automatic washing machine and hang them on the line to dry. My grandmother washed her cloths in a washing machine with a wringer and hung them on a cloths line to dry. I remember watching her wring the cloths between cycles and then helped her hang them on the line.

I could use a washing machine with a wringer. In fact, my grandmother let me use her washing machine a few times. I remember she always worried that I would get my fingers caught in the wringer. Eventually, my grandfather bought her an automatic washer; however, she never had an automatic dryer. Grandma always hung her cloths outside to dry.

So now it has come to this, I have come full circle. I am washing my cloths and drying them, the way Grandma Newland did after Grandpa bought her the automatic washing machine.

Labels: ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9