Monday, January 07, 2008

Write Stuff poetry contest: The Experience of Winter

The Experience of Winter

I remember Oklahoma winters
when deep snow blocked doors to the house and closed
highways state wide. We were children then and
the cold snow just another toy for us.

At sixty, I live in the Nevada
desert where bitter winters freeze my blood,
penetrate my bones, cause pain in my knees,
and bring nostalgic dreams of my childhood.

I sit looking out the window' I see
winter white clouds sailing across the blue
sky and wonder what the difference is
between my winter experiences.

Are winters today colder then those of
my childhood? Is it simply age and wear
on my body that makes winters appear
worse or is the climate really changing?

Poetry Contest at Write Stuff

Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9