Sunday, December 09, 2007

Creating a Character

17 Qawl 164 B.E. - Sunday, December 9, 2007 about 1020 AM PST

When it comes to creating characters, I have few problems with the character description or personality. It's naming the character that sometimes slows me up, especially in writing flash fiction. I like to use different name or variations of the names I've used before. If I use the same name sometimes the reader confuses that character with an earlier character.

On writing.com I put my responses to the Daily Flash Fiction prompt in a collection of stories called Flashes of Lightning. None of the stories are related in any way, in fact the only thing they have is common is Flash Fiction. Naming the characters in these stories is sometimes, a problem because I want to use different names for characters in different stories.

Today I found a web site that has names and the meaning behind the names. It's called Behind the Name and it gives "the etymology and history behind first names". This is a great site for a flash fiction writer or a writer of any type. I can use the first names for main characters in flash fiction and for all my characters in short stories and novels. This is definitely a site I'm going to bookmark. I have one of the members in the yahoo journal-writing group to thank for this web site.

Labels: , , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9