Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Thunderstorm in Las Vegas

I wrote the following poem during a thunderstorm in Las Vegas. The weather bureau released a Flash Flood Warning for southern Nevada and central Clark County. They kept updating the warning all afternoon. The warning ended about 6:15 PM or a bit earlier.

Do I hear thunder?
See raindrops on the cement?
The wind is blowing!

A flash flood warning
For southern Nevada:
“Turn around don’t drown!”

I watch the wind blow
Through the pine tree’s dead branches;
The rain is falling.

A flash flood warning
For central Clark County:
“Turn around don’t drown!”

Listen to the rain
Whispering to Las Vegas
Relief from the heat.

A flash flood warning
For the Las Vegas area:
“Turn around don’t drown!”

I watch the pine tree
Its brown limbs blow in the wind
Will they break off tonight?

The flash flood warning has ended. The wind has stopped blowing. The limbs are still on the pine tree. The clouds still cover the sky, but the rain has stopped. There is a puddle of rainwater in my driveway.

I worry too much because there is nothing I can do about the dead limbs on the pine tree. I cannot afford to have them cut off. I can only say a prayer of protection and hope that we do not have 30 mile an hour winds for the next two or three months.

Labels: , , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9