Saturday, August 18, 2012

Writing Exercise: My Mother and me on Saturday ~ A Description


It is Saturday. I sit on the couch watching Mom doze. Her hair is white, with streaks of brown left over from her youth. She is sitting in a wheelchair with her head resting in her right hand and her right elbow on her right knee. Her feet are up on the couch because her legs are swollen. He doll is sitting on her left leg, its head resting against the left side of the wheelchair.

It is strange how things change as one grows older. When I was a child, Mom would never let us put our feet on the couch. Age and time has brought a reversal of rolls. Now that I am the mother and she is the daughter I let her put her feet on the couch. In fact, I place her feet on the couch myself and I lock the wheels of her chair, so that she cannot wander through the house.

There are dangers in the house for an Alzheimer’s patient. There are dangers in the kitchen. There are dangers in the bathroom. There are dangers in the bedroom. Therefore, wherever Mom goes in the house I go with her watching over her. I am the mother to my mother.

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9