Friday, March 16, 2012

Free-write: What do I know about St. Patrick’s Day?


Tomorrow we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. The Day we commemorate either the birth or the death of St. Patrick. I am not sure which it is. I have never been sure whether we were celebrating St. Patrick’s birth or commemorating his death. I do not think it matters to any one celebrating on St. Patrick’s Day which one it is. As far as, I have ever been able to tell it is just another excuse to have a party and to wear green.

When I was in grade school, you had to wear green on St. Patrick’s Day because if you did not wear that color, someone would pinch you. Since I never liked getting pinched, I wore green on St. Patrick’s Day. I do not remember learn much about St. Patrick in school. The only thing I know about him is that he chased the snakes out of Ireland.

Another thing I know about St. Patrick’s Day is that many bars sell green beer. Since I do not drink beer, I am not sure why people seem fascinated with beer that has green food coloring added. Do bartenders charge more for green beer?

What else do I know about St. Patrick’s Day? Some places have paradise on that day. When I was in grade school and St. Patrick’s Day occurred during the week, someone always brought cupcakes with green icing. I always liked the chocolate cupcakes with green icing.

Labels:

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9