Sunday, October 23, 2011

Battle of the Hearing Aids in Las Vegas

My mother thinks she does not need to wear her hearing aids, so she removes them and lays them down. Earlier today, she removed her hearing aids and put them in the dish that held her lunch. Fortunately, she had eaten everything except a few grains of rice. I do not think those few grains hurt the hearing aids.

When she removes the aids from her ears, they make a noise while she is holding them. This is good because if I am not sitting next to her, I can go to the couch to find out what is going on. I heard the noise and went to see where she was putting the hearing aids. She attempted to put one of them in her mouth, but removed it immediately. This is the first time she has done something like this. I think she did it because she found them in the cereal bowl, which contained the rice. Normally, she does not try to eat anything that is not in a food container.

Usually, when she removes her hearing aids she puts them in her purse. Her purse was not beside her, so from now on I have to make sure her purse is sitting next to her or on the arm of the couch. Anywhere she can see it and get to it easily. Because of the Alzheimer’s disease, Mom cannot help the things she does.

Mom did not get hearing aids until she was in her 80s. She believes she is a young woman and can hear as well as she could when she was 18, all though, because of the Alzheimer’s she acts as if she is much younger. After I cleaned the hearing aids off, I put them back in her ears and she has not removed them again. She may have forgotten I put them in her ears.

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9