Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Writing about Memory lose and Alzheimer's disease

There was a time when I thought that short-term memory lose was the worst thing that could happen. I was wrong! Mom has Alzheimer's disease. Mom has short-term memory lose. Mom has also forgotten that her parents are dead. Mom does not remember attending their funerals. Mom does not remember sitting by her mother's hospital bed.

When Mom and I talk, I am careful not to mention my grandparent's deaths. I refrain from saying they are buried in Blackwell, Oklahoma. My brother sent Mom an anthology containing several of his poems. Mom wants me to read the poems to her. I cannot read one poem to her because it mentions my grandparent's deaths.

When Mom gets upset because her parents do not live with us, I tell her that they sold their house and moved to a retirement village. Mom believes this and it makes her happy.

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9