Friday, September 05, 2008

Writing before Dawn in Las Vegas

It is early and the sun is still beneath the horizon. Las Vegas never actually sleeps; it has a terminal case of insomnia. I, on the other hand, do get a little bit of sleep at regular intervals, occasionally. Last night I went to bed at 8:00 PM and got up at 1:30 AM this morning.

I lay in bed for a few minutes looking out my bedroom window into the darkness. Some people know precisely what time they get up without looking at a clock. I don't, I have to get out of bed and walk into the living room to find out the time. True, if I put the clock beside my bed, I wouldn't have to get out of bed to look at it.

The original reason for putting the clock that far away from my bedroom was to force me to get up and turn the alarm off. However, for the past nine or ten months I've been getting up before the alarm goes off. The reason for putting the alarm clock in the living room no longer exist, so I can move to clock to my bedroom.

I like getting up before the alarm goes off and before dawn illumines the sky. I like looking out the window and watching the sky change colors in the morning. The gradual change of shade of the sky indicates a change in the city. There is a difference between Las Vegas at night and Las Vegas during the day.

I like living in Las Vegas, the city with terminal insomnia because if I get the midnight munchies, I can go to a coffee shop in one of the hotels and have someone else fix and serve me my snack while I write in my journal.

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9