Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Last Sunday in August

Labor Day is tomorrow,
on the first Monday in September
American workers celebrate
their achievements.

On the first Monday in September,
government offices,
banks,
and schools
will be closed to celebrate
the economic
and the social achievement
of the American worker.

I remember Labor Days
from my childhood,
it was a family day
of hot dogs and soda pop,
of picnics and laughter,
a day when my grandfather
did not have to go to work.

I seem to be doing all right with the Labor Day poems this year, even without s specific form. I wrote another Labor Day poem yesterday called The Last Saturday in August and posted it in another blog. I still like the idea of writing a Labor Day poem using a specific form. Perhaps an acrostic, that type of poem is good to use for holidays because the first letter in each line spells out a word.

Labels: ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9