Monday, October 08, 2012

The Second Monday in October

On October 12, 1492 Christopher Columbus arrived in America, so every year on the second Monday in October those of us who live in the United States commemorate Columbus Day.  This is not the type of holiday that closes schools, banks, or stops postal deliveries. It is the type of holiday that you wish people a "Happy Columbus Day", if you remember that is is Columbus Day.

My memories of Columbus Day consist of history lesson I experienced in grade school. I remember learning that sometime in 1492 a sailor called Christopher Columbus discovered America. I remember some of the words to a song about Columbus. These are the words I remember, "In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue" and that is all I remember about the song.

Since grade school I have learned more about what happen after Columbus arrived in America. I know that there is a monument to Christopher Columbus in Barcelona, Spain. I have learned that in some places Columbus Day is celebrated with special church services, parades, and other activities. I do not remember attending any of these events to commemorate Columbus Day. For me this is just another Monday and the only thing Columbus Day means is that I do not have to find a subject for a blog entry.

Labels: , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9