Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Writing about a good time

Daily Writing Practice Prompt for Tuesday, July 7, 2009 is “It was his idea of a good time.”

I could take several approaches with this prompt; most of them acquired by experience. The one thing I have learned in the past 62 years is that everyone has a different idea of a "good time". I have also found that an individual's concept of a "good time" changes as the person matures.

It was his idea of a good time, sitting in a motor boat with a fishing pole in the water waiting for a fish to strike the worm dangling on the hook.

It was his idea of a good time. Sitting on a bar stool holding a cold bottle of beer and listening to country music playing on the jukebox.

Two completely different approaches to the same prompt. Two complete different stories or slice of life essays. The genre depends on whether I want to write a personal essay or a short story. Alternatively, I could write a poem using either approach.

Since I do not intend to write a slice of life or a personal essay. I have to decide between a short story or a poem. No matter which I decide to write, I am going to have to add more description and action.

Labels: ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9