Monday, July 24, 2006

Poetry for the Spirit

12 Kalimat 163 B.E. – July 24, 2006 A.D.

I’ve went through my library and found several poetry books. Actually, many poetry books, but the name of one of the books is Poetry for the Spirit edited by Alan Jacobs. This is a thick book, with spiritual or mystic poetry. I’ve started this book, but haven’t finished reading it, I don’t read a poetry book all the way through at one time. What I do is pick it up, read, and then put it down for a while. Poets’ write poetry, especially mystic poetry; to give comfort and to give comfort it one reads it slowly. Meditates on the lines, consumes them and chew them slowly, sips them as is if drinking a cup of Sumatran coffee. That is how I read this book. Anyway, I picked the book up again; I am reading it, nibbling at its verses.

This is how I read Poetry for the Spirit. I open the book, look at the author, find the first poem by the author and read. This time the author is Thomas Traherne. He is one of the poets in Part 5: Seventeenth Century the years from 1601 B.C. to 1700 B.C. I don’t know in which part of the Seventeenth Century Traherne live, I’ll have to do a little be of research and see, but right now I’ll just read his poems and make journal entries without doing any research. After I written what I’ve gotten out of his poems, written what they mean to me, then I’ll do the research and find out more about him. That’s the beautiful thing about reading poetry and having access to the internet. You can read the poet and then latter do the research and then read the poems again. Or you can do it the other way around.

I’ll finish Mr. Traherne’s poems and then do the research on him. The next poet I choose I’ll do the research first and then read. I’m not sure which way is the best. I don’t think it really matters, as long as eventually I learn more about the poet and his poetry. Writing about poetry in a personal journal or your own blog is writing about your feelings and not giving critical review. Don’t get me wrong, I like writing critical reviews of poetry, but it takes research to write a critical review. There are just times when the only thing a person wants to do is read, read the poem and write about how it makes one feel.
  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9