Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Midweek Reflections on writing and technical difficulties


It is Wednesday and I spent the morning dealing with technical difficulties, which makes writing difficult, but not impossible. Persistence is the secret of handling technical difficulties. Since my system runs slow as a frozen waterfall, I started keeping track of the issues two or three months ago.

I found that I am dealing with the same issues repeatedly. One of the issues is the virus scan, which normally takes about 40 minutes to run, even when it finds warning and threats. However, sometimes it takes between one to six hours to run. The cause of this is the computer going into hibernation when the scan has completed about 51% of the items it checks.

Another issue is the virtual memory. Several times a week and sometimes several times a day the messages “Windows – Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low” and the computer does something to increase the virtual memory. This is aggravating especially since other issues force me to restart the computer two or three times a day.

Today, when I turned the computer back on after turning it off, the system ran chkdsk. Whatever repairs the program made caused the system to run faster. I am not sure how long this will last, but I think that from now o n I will run the chkdsk myself about every 30 days or so. This may help some of the problems I am having with my system. I will continue to keep a record of the problems I am having because that is the only way to find a solution to the problem.

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9