Monday, October 10, 2011

The Second Monday of October

It is a cloudy Columbus Day afternoon in Las Vegas. The clouds moved in slowly and now they cover the entire sky. I listened to the weather report on the noon news; the meteorologist did not forecast rain, just clouds. I wonder if it was cloudy in 1492 when Columbus arrived in the New World.

When I was in school, they taught us that Columbus discovered America in 1492. I remember a song about Columbus sailing “the ocean blue”, but I do not remember all the words. I do not remember if we learned that his first landing was the Bahamas on October 12. Recently, I learned that, in 1493, Columbus brought citrus tree seeds to the West Indies.

Today is Columbus Day. Today some businesses closed for this holiday and some did not. My bank is one of those businesses closed for Columbus Day, but my auto insurance company is not. I suppose the United States Post Office closed today, which means no mail delivery and I am fine with that.

Please have a happy and safe Columbus Day. If you have the day off, enjoy yourself. I you have to work, enjoy yourself as well. I hope the weather across the country is as nice as it is here in Las Vegas. Here there are clouds, without rain, and moderate temperatures.

Labels: , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9