Friday, February 04, 2011

Epiphany in the supermarket

I went to the supermarket today to buy some peanut butter and other items. I got my shopping cart and headed for the shelf with the peanut butter, as I was walking down the isle an announcement came over the intercom. The announcement concerned Valentines Day and items a person could buy for his or her “Valentine”.

I had an epiphany; I realized that Valentines Day did not mean anything to me. I do not have a significant other; therefore, no one is going to buy me a box of chocolates shaped like a heart. If I want a heart shaped box of chocolates, I have to buy them myself. The same thing goes for jewelry, if I want a heart shaped diamond pendant I have to buy it myself.

I do not care for diamonds. I prefer sapphires, emeralds, and rubies, but not diamonds. I think gems with color are much more beautiful. If a diamond can divide light into a rainbow, then I might consider buying one; however, I am not sure if that is possible. I know diamonds can cut glass and I think there are numerous other uses for them, which I think make them valuable, but I do not care to wear them myself.

I think I will use this epiphany and my preference for gems in a poem or a story. Something like that would work well as the subject of a short story or flash fiction.

Labels: , , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9