Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving is a Spiritual holiday

Many people think of Thanksgiving as the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. However, for me Thanksgiving is a spiritual holiday. The older I get the more I realize this. The more tests I encounter in my life, the more I realize this.

This year, Thanksgiving is especially stressful. This Thanksgiving I am especially thankful. The doctory diagnosed my mother with Alzheimer's last Friday. She began taking a new medication on Monday (the pharmacy was out of the tablets when the doctor faxed prescription on Friday). It takes four to six weeks for the medication to show an effect.

Mom is still capable of taking care of herself under most conditions. I do have to remind her about certain things. I have to help her find items that she "lost" because she can't remember where she put them.

Mom enjoys going out, so tomorrow we will go out. I think we'll do laundry or perhaps just drive around. I don't know for sure what we will do yet, but we will do something that Mom enjoys. I know one thing I am going to do, that is ask Mom to recount her memories about my grandparents and growing up on a farm. I have a chance to write down some of her memories and I'm going to write them down.

Labels: , , ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9