Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sunday Services

I went to spiritual services at the Baha’i Center in Las Vegas today. I think I’ve written a poem earlier in this blog about Sunday Service or the local Baha‘i Choir. Today’s theme was virtues.

I never get tired of listening to the local Baha’i Choir. The Choir is made up of Baha’is from all over the Las Vegas area. It is a wonderful experience listening to the choir. I grew up listening to spiritual music. When I was a child I loved to listen to the Baptist Choir sing in the Mission in Blackwell, Oklahoma. My grandmother never missed a church service unless she was sick. I still like to listen to gospel music. In fact I enjoy listening to all types of religious and spiritual music. It is through music and poetry that I feel the presence of the Holy Spirit - the spirit of God.

Anyway today’s entry is about music rather than simply spiritual or mystic poetry. The reading from the sacred writings speak to the human soul in one way, while the music speaks to the spirit (soul) in another. I always enjoy going to a spiritual service with music. In fact that is part of my definition for a spiritual service, i.e. one that includes music of some type. I don’t think the music necessarily has to be religious or spiritual songs and music. The music can include different instruments such as the harp or flute. The music can be written by Brahms or Beethoven, it can be a person singing without accompanying music, but (at least for me) a spiritual service must include music and or singing. It just doesn’t seem like a spiritual service without it.
(11 Sultan 162 B.E.)
  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9