Monday, May 25, 2009

A Writer's Word Count Goal

I heard somewhere, I'm not sure where, that a writer should write about 2,500 words a day. My daily word count goal is 2,975 words. For the past two or three months, I've found it difficult to make that count.

I have two options. First, I can take the word count goal back down to 2,500. Second, I can be more aggressive when it comes to that goal. By more aggressive, I mean I can't go to bed until I've achieved the goal or the midnight bells toll. Actually, the second option isn't too bad a choice.

I don't sleep well. When I go to bed I lay awake for several hours. Sitting at the computer writing is a better option then staring out the window waiting for the Metro helicopter to fly over the neighborhood.

I suspect the sleep issue is genetic. My mother doesn't sleep well, she says she lays awake almost all night. My grandmother didn't sleep well either; however, my grandmother would get up in the middle of the night and clean house. Myself, I would rather write or read then lay awake all night or clean house in the middle of the night.

Labels: ,

  • Disclosure Policy for Poet 999's Thoughts about Writing and Other Stuff
  • 0 Comments

  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home

    ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9 ss_blog_claim=a8c1097db65820f0a340f0696e6013a9